Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Round Oven Mitt Tutorial


My little brother is moving into his very first house with five other guys and there's not a potholder to be found in the place. So I took it upon myself to make him a couple.

For one mitt (I made two, so sorry if one or two of the pictures are confusing because of that) you will need:
2 outside fabrics measuring about 10" x 11"
2 inside fabrics (I used cozy flannel, but I think it would have looked better if it was closer in color to the outside fabric) measuring 10" x 11"
Inside binding (mine is yellow) measuring 8" x 3"
Outside binding (mine is blue) measuring 30+" x 2 1/2"
lots of batting for the inside


Spread your fingers and place your hand in the middle of one of your outside fabric pieces. Cut in a very generous oval/egg shape around your hand. This is your pattern for the rest of your pieces. Go ahead and cut until to you have 2 'ovals' in the outside fabric and 2 in the inside fabric.


This bold blue mitt was what I was copying. Now take one of the outside ovals and cute the hand entrance like so:


Now use that piece as your guide to cut one of your inside ovals:


If you were making TWO mitts like I was, you would have the following:


Set one of your pacman shaped pieces on top of *one* piece of batting and cut the batting over a 1/4" wider than your fabric.


Put your opposite fabric on the opposite side, like so:


Pin it GOOD and set aside.


Now do the same as above with your two oval pieces but put *three* layers of batting in the middle.



Now sew all the way around both your pinned up pieces. I made my seam the width of the sewing foot. Then trim the excess batting away. 


For the binding, I think I'm best off to send you to this binding tutorial. It's FABULOUS. 




I'll let you go on your own until you have it looking somewhat like this:


Now pin your pacman piece to your oval and put on the outside binding.



It should look something like this on top:


And like this on the other side, once you've folded the binding around to the back. 


Now hand sew the back of the binding and you're done!



6 comments:

  1. This is a great tutorial! I will try this today. thanks for sharing! Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made one!! Thank you, such an easy tutorial to follow :)
    http://charmaboutyou.blogspot.com/2011/11/thoughtful-thanks-for-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog. I became a follower! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial and great idea for a nice gift to a new home owner...
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. DO YOU HAVE A PATTERN THAT ANYONE CAN PRINT FROM
    CAN YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW
    PRETTYONEANGEL@YAHOO.COM

    ReplyDelete